Monday, May 20, 2013

May 20, 2013 - Finding Joy in the Journey


May 20, 2013 - Finding Joy in the Journey

I seriously feel so blessed! The work is incredibly hard but I have such a wonderful companion! We get along so stinkin´ well! We´re SO much alike! Tender mercy!  The investigator that we found last week is coming along! She really really loves meeting with us and is taking what we teach her really well. She has a LOT going on in her life right now so we´ve just been trying to get her through some of her trials. I just adore this woman with all of my heart!  I don´t know what happened exactly but her and I have developed a bond that I can´t quite describe in words. I honestly feel like she was one of the people that I was supposed to find. The lord is so merciful because I needed her so much! She has been such a blessing out here for me!
Yeah!!! A member approached me after church yesterday and told me that she and my mom’s good friend knew each other from the misión. So cool!!! Small world! This sweet member has truly kept an eye out for me. She´s wonderful!
Elche has officially stolen my heart! I could live here forever. So there´s a soccer team here that is a PRETTY freaking big deal to the people. It´s insane how much these people love their soccer team. They played yesterday and the people had a TWO DAY celebration to prep for the game. We were blown away. Not just a Little drinking and laughing in the streets but a full out PARTY ALL OVER ELCHE!!!! Imagine if the superbowl were to be held in your town and EVERY person in that town was obsessed with one team that was playing. I seriously don´t know how to describe it. THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of people were out in the streets in their Elche team gear cheering and partying like the world was going to end. It was AWESOMEE!!!!!!!! They had a parade, a pep rally in the center of the city, parties, and people driving through the streets waving their massive Elche flags. Everyone was with their family and friends just having the greatest time ever! It was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen! Elche is now and forever my soccer team. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it here! I never want to transfer!!!!!!!
The first week out here was incredibly difficult for me.  This week, however, was a million times better!!! Oh my lanta! The strange thing is that nothing was different from that first week. I had the same struggle with the language, same rejection, same investigators, same people, same área. Only one thing had changed - me. I didn´t magically pick up the language, experience a crazy miracle, find a ton of investigators, or even see much success this week. I simply stepped back and changed my perspective. I realized that entering the field had caused me to turn inwards and focus completely on myself: “I’m so tired all of the time.  I can´t understand the language. Why is this so hard for me?”
This was the source of the majority of my struggles. When you´re so consumed with yourself and your own concerns and trials of course you´re going to become discouraged and even a Little depressed. How could you not be sad when you´re only thinking about your own struggles.  I was in desperate need of a large dose of selflessness. Once I realized that I’m not here for myself and that this work is so much bigger than me my whole attitude started to change. I remembered that when I accepted the call to serve as a missionary I also accepted the call to surrender my time and concern into the service of others. It wasn´t until I turned my focus and concern onto the members, my investigators, other missionaries, my companion, and the people of Elche that I started to find the joy of missionary work. Suddenly my problems didn´t seem as significant or important to me. I made a decisión this week to FIND  joy in the journey. As my attitude and perspective changed so did everything else. I was no longer burdened down with worry and discouragement. I found strength that I didn´t know I had. Yeah, the language is a struggle, I’m exhausted all of the time, and not everyone wants to listen to us. That´s just fine! This work has begun to change from a struggle and an obstacle to a ¨marvelous work and a wonder.¨ How lucky am I to be able to wear the Savior´s name for the world to see each and every day. How can I truly feel alone when his name is right next to mine. As I have turned my time, concern, effort, and will over to the lord he has given me a new perspective. He has given me a greater love for the people and the work. He changed everything! That change in focus and attitude has changed this week from enduring to enjoying. I have truly started to find the joy in the journey.
Love you all!! Thank you for all of the love and support! I love this work! I love this góspel!
Ï never said that it would be easy. I only said that it would be worth it.¨
Con todo mi amor,
Hermana Israelsen

No comments:

Post a Comment