Monday, March 17, 2014

A CHANGE OF HEART – March 17, 2014


I was set apart as a missionary a year ago from today and tomorrow is the year mark from when I left the United States for my mission. I can´t believe I’ve been here in Spain for an entire year already! I honestly don´t know how I feel. I am so grateful that the Lord has carried me this far. One year. Wow. The time seems to speed up as I get further and further into my mission. I honestly love it here!
 
It was honestly just a sweet week. It was hard and we were so exhausted physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually but it was a week where I truly felt like an instrument in the hands of the Lord so it was all worth it. This week I found myself thinking a lot about how much I have changed over the past year. I´m not the same girl I was a year ago from today. I have gone through the ringer over the past 12 months and have passed through a fair share of refiner´s fires but I wouldn´t take back a single day of my mission for anything. The Lord has truly been molding me and changing my heart over the past year. I think one of the biggest changes I’ve seen in myself is my understanding and application of the atonement in my life. I´m a lot more calm when troubles come my way because I have a firm faith and hope that everything will be ok because it´s all in the hands of the Lord. When trials come I have been able to learn how to share my burden with the Savior and let him lighten my load. I have truly learned how to let the Lord lighten my burden. That´s something that will forever bless my life. It took me a long time to learn and I’m still learning it but I now know what it feels like to have my burdens made light so that I can´t feel them anymore. The Lord has done that again and again for me but it has come from diligent scripture study, sincere prayer, heartfelt repentance, and weekly partaking of the sacrament.
 
The Lord has changed my heart and has shown me of his infinite mercy and grace. I´ll never be the same. The mission has been the best thing I’ve ever done in my life FOR my life. The understanding, compassion, comfort and peace that the atonement brings has carried me every day of my mission. I can attribute all of the understanding and gratitude that I have for the atonement to my trials. I am so grateful for all of those difficult and heart wrenching moments because it was in those moments that the lord softened my heart and brought me closer to him. He brought me into his arms, cleaned me up, put me back on my feet and then continued to walk with me. The Lord has been there for me every step of the way and I know without a doubt that he has been there every step of the way for you as well even if you may not have realized it. He is truly the only one who can comfort us, heal our broken hearts, calm all of our doubts and fears, and make our burdens light. All that he asks of us is that we learn of him through reading the scriptures and applying the teachings to our lives, talk to our father in heaven through sincere prayer, and remember him by keeping his commandments! I wouldn´t still be standing without the power of the atonement. The atonement will carry you through your hard times because it has carried me through mine. Be patient, have faith, and trust in the lord. In the end, everything will be alright and if it´s not alright, it´s not the end. 
 
Love you!
Hermana Israelsen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment